Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Looking to God for what our hearts desire.

I wanted to write about something that might help you. Sometimes I will go through times that I have a lot of resentment towards others. I will remember people in my past that have directly caused me hurt, or maybe it was kind of more indirectly. And then feelings of resentment and anger come. And I know one thing for certain, that type of anger and resentment is not good for a person. It is one thing to hate the bad things that a person does, but is another thing to hate the person.
I truly believe that is probably the #1 way that satan is trying to derail me spiritually, and distance me from God.
I imagine that my struggles are able to help others, because I know other Christians go through the same things that I do.
I want to say that resentment and anger with others is really a very dangerous thing. When I do not forgive someone, really I am hurting myself. And like my Mom said... hurting people, hurt others.
It is not like forgiving someone is like pushing a button. Really it is out of Gods grace that God helps us to forgive. But I think that we need to want God´s help, and even if we do not want to forgive, we can simply pray ¨God, really I do not want to forgive, but I know I need to, and so help me to be willing to forgive¨. But truly it is something that God does in us.
I want to say something about being married, and I know this is true. I know that it is very bad for a marriage when we look at our spouses, and think ¨why don´t you do this for me, or why aren´t you different¨. We will see the flaws in them, instead of the good stuff. And satan wishes to take advantage of that, with a goal of destroying the marriage.
I know that God does not want us to look at our spouses, and to do that. And I think the reason why we do that is because our eyes are on our spouses and not on God. We are looking to our spouses for something that truly they cannot give us.
The pastor that married Eliana and I said ¨you cannot make each other happy. Do not put your eyes on each other, but put them on Christ. And when you do that, your marriage is also blessed¨ That is so true. My Dad is who often said to me ¨don´t think about what others need to do for you, but about what you need to do for them. ¨
I believe I have the best wife in the world. But if I want to be a good husband for her, then God has to be first in my life, and nothing else. And it is the same if I want to be a good father. I believe that when we put our eyes on God, then our hearts find peace, and we are able to love others like we should. And so I think a truly blessed marriage is not like what you see in the movies, but it is when both the husband and wife are seeking God, and wanting to know him more and more. Because God loves us more than we can imagine.
God has used my wife to teach me a lot, and to help me grow spiritually. But if you have a spouse that is not seeking God, then remember that you are not responsible for your spouse, but we are responsible for ourselves. And if you can love that spouse like God wants you to, then they may see Christ in you, and want the same things for their lives.
And I also want to say that although I wrote all the above, I have often done the opposite and not followed that advice. But I know how much it hurts me, and also my marriage when I do that. But I have learned some things after making many mistakes, and I hope this can also help you.
God, help us to put our eyes on you, and not on anybody else. Help us to think about doing things for others, and not about what they should do for us. May you fill our hearts with love and peace and joy, and that will spill over so we can bless others like you are blessing us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In Celebrate Recovery, it is often said that we only have to be willing to be made willing. Sometimes change comes in very very small steps. It can be that way with forgiveness too. Sometimes the anger, resentments, and fears are so deep that the very first step is simply to be willing to be made willing to forgive. Even that very small step is the very beginning of change. We will never arrive at perfection but we celebrate the progression...no matter how small the change may be.

Mom

Verse of the Day

traduzca esta página

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker



About Us

God has given us a precious gift... our first child, Andrew Lee.

Blog Archive